Thursday, June 7, 2007

Google Image Search: Babies


This is the very first image result when you Google "babies." It's also the #2 result for "creepy babies." These are little babies made of marzipan. For those of you who don't have a baking fetish like I do, marzipan is a sugar-almond paste that is used to make little decorations on fancy cakes.

I'm trying to picture a cake with these babies on it. I assume it would be for a baby shower, because I can't think of another time when having a baby-themed cake would be even a little bit okay. So imagine we are at a baby shower. The fat lady has just opened all the gifts, and everyone oohed and ahhed at the soft, tiny little booties and onesies. A little girl is running around with a bunch of clothespins she collected from people who accidentally said "baby." And now it's time for cake. It's a beautiful fancy cake filled with raspberry mousse and covered with... little... marzipan... babies. How does the hostess cut into that without feeling a tinge homicidal? Do you eat the babies? Or do you just eat around them, leaving a little pile of eerily life-like candy babies face-down in the icing, waiting for a slightly larger marzipan CSI team to come investigate the cause of death?

How is that not creepy? How does it not give the mother-to-be nightmares about accidentally eating her baby? In short, who thought this would be a good idea?

1 comment:

TelekinticWolf said...

Oh man, this made my day. I laughed so hard at this.

unfortunately, I would eat the babies :/ I just wouldn't look at them.