Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Whatever Mischa Barton!

That's my favorite thing ever overheard at a Target. A year or so ago I was wandering through the clothing department of Target around 10 a.m. on a Wednesday. There were two girls, maybe 14, browsing the clearance rack. They had a very J-Lo Fly-Girl-Era Porta Reecan look about them, but I live in Texas so probably they were just Mexican. Anyway, one of them held up an ivory lacey peasant sort of top and gave her friend the non-verbal "what do you think about this one" expression. The other one said "Whatevah Mischa Bahton!" I like to think there was a snap too (like in the air, not on the blouse) but that may be wishful remembering. Of course, being a nerdy teacher I almost asked them if they shouldn't be in school. Almost.

That really doesn't have much to do with being married except that it's one of the many random phrases Husband and I throw around for fun. I thought of it when I saw this picture on Go Fug Yourself.

I have never seen such an unsexy article of clothing draw so much attention to the vajayjay region. I know they say money doesn't buy happiness, a theory I refuse to accept until I've had the chance to test it personally. But thanks to Mischa Barton there is one thing I know for sure money won't buy: the ability to determine which fashion trends are suitable for your body type. For example, I would have known that thigh-accentuating Urkel pants would not flatter my hippy frame.

I can tell Husband looks down on me for obsessing about ways I am better than famous/rich people, but I don't care. I will go to bed feeling a little better about myself knowing that I never would have bought these pants.

No comments: