Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pray Hard, The Jesus Christ Story

Last week some senior citizens from the church next door to my school brought all the teachers Easter gift bags. They included some Post-its, markers, cookies, and a fingertip towel embroidered with eggs that I would put out in my guest bathroom if I were my mother-in-law. Oh yeah, they also gave us all an index card that said "God is great!" in shaky grandma handwriting and a book called Pray Big, which apparently outlines the scriptural support for making specific and large requests in prayer. I say apparently because that is what I have learned from the back cover, which is all I will ever read of the book.

I can't give a specific reason why, but it bothers me that it is acceptable to pass out a book about Christianity at a public school. So I told several friends and family about the gift to gauge their reaction. Except in doing so I kept accidentally calling the book Pray Hard, which sounds like it could be a new movie starring Will Farrell as Jesus and maybe Rachel Dratch as a skanky Mary Magdelene.

No comments: