Saturday, March 8, 2008

Urburbs

Since last I blogged, Husband and I have started hating the suburbs and wanting to move back to civilization. Not that we ever loved it out here. Here are the top 5 reasons we hate living where we do...

#5
No one cool lives in our neighborhood. The most interesting neighbor we have is the teenage girl across the street who is always either making out with her boyfriend in his hoopty car or trying to break up with him in the front yard. It was really awkward that time Husband and I spent the afternoon cleaning out the garage and that kid was out there in his wifebeater for two hours trying to convince her to keep letting him hit it.

#4

There was a tumbleweed in our driveway the other night. Whatever, but for some reason this troubles Husband greatly.

#3
There are no black people in the suburbs. I want our kids to know that there are black people in the world. This is an unfortunate though understandable gap in the education of students here in Suburban ISD. Most people move out here for the good schools, and they do have wonderful special programs. So we are hoping our kids are just average so the local urban school district can sufficiently educate them. If we end up with a genius or a sped case then we can always move back out here later.

#2
I have recently discovered that industrialized agriculture is killing America (more on that in a future post). The restaurants here in the 'burbs only serve prepackaged high-fructose mechanically-separated processed crap on a bun.

#1
The local HEB parking lot is smattered with "W '04" stickers and Dale Jr. sunshades. We are in the middle of NASCAR Nation. A tragic reminder that this is indeed a red state we live in.

So Husband and I have decided to move. This decision precedes action by approximately 3-15 months, but I feel better already. We acknowledge that we are not cool enough to pull off or even want a condo downtown. Our ideal 'hood is not quite urban, not quite suburban, but a happy little place in between similar to where I grew up. There are backyards and a Target AND non-white people and independent businesses. We like to call it the "urburbs." We look forward to showing you around our adorable little cottage soon(ish).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm totally reading the Michael Pollan book you recommended and am on the waiting list at the library for his new one. I was trying to figure out at the grocery store yesterday if my chicken had been fed corn or not! All I could determine was that it was not fed yucky cow parts. The BF thinks I'm crazy (well, crazier).