Sunday, March 18, 2007

Home Again, Home Again

Husband and I are back from Arkansas. On our way back into town we stopped by my parents' house to pick up Dog. We sat in the backyard talking for awhile and I kept saying, "Hmm, let me think, did anything else interesting happen in Arkansas?" In fact, nothing of much interest happened in Arkansas. Both the people and the places we visited had all seen better days, I'm afraid. I wish I had interesting stories with which to regale you, but I don't. Instead here's a list of things I learned about Husband/our marriage after spending 178 hours straight with him.
  1. He loves him some Walmart. At home we almost never go to Walmart (see wakeupwalmart.com), but in Arkansas it's pretty hard to avoid. I forgot to pack my swimsuit and extra batteries for the camera so we stopped by a Walmart one evening after dinner. We left with no swimsuit but the batteries and about $50 worth of other crap. You ladies out there are familiar, I'm sure, with the Rule of Target, which dictates that it is virtually impossible to spend more than 15 minutes in a Target without spending at least $100. I propose a new Rule of Walmart, which is basically the same but with a $50 minimum expenditure, cause that crap is cheap! I asked Husband what he loved so much about Walmart and he said that it is like the world's biggest garage sale, with cheap amusing crap around every corner. And amused he was, for about 45 minutes longer than I cared to be at a Walmart.
  2. We have grown a little too comfortable around each other. I have always insisted that we close the door when using the restroom because I think it's healthy to have a little mystery. Plus I grew up in a freely-peeing house and it kind of creeps me out that my parents would have whole conversations over a good pee. It seems I need to amend our rule to include talking about going to the bathroom as well. And boobies and man parts too. Today I was making a grocery list and Husband said, "don't forget the chicken tits!" I'm not sure when our relationship devolved into a live-action episode of Family Guy, but I would like it to stop.
  3. It works out better for everyone when I tell Husband what to do and he just does it. I'm talking specifically about how much less stressful it is when he drives and I navigate, but I'm sure this dynamic could transfer easily to other aspects of our lives.
  4. I am way better at packing up a car than Husband is. I am okay with the fact that saying this means I will be packing up the car for every road trip for the rest of our lives. With great power comes great responsibility.
  5. Husband was apparently confused by our honeymoon. No, freak, I didn't pack a different silky nightgown for every night. I packed a pair of sweatpants. Reserving a room with a king-sized bed here at the Comfort Inn was not intended to be a sexual overture.

1 comment:

Wife said...

I am on to Wife's little game. I'm convinced she's using this blog as a public forum for trying to convince our readership of Wife's superiority to Husband. As soon as I can find compelling evidence to the contrary, I will respond. For now, I will simply shake my fist angrily in the air. My vengeance will be swift!