Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Maybe they need a puppy

Just recently a couple of family members have inquired about our plans to procreate. On my side of the family it seems to take the form of morbid curiosity. "You aren't going to have kids yet, are you?!" However my in-laws are ready to be grandparents. To their credit, they haven't actually told me this. Yet. But the evidence is mounting nonetheless...
  1. At Thanksgiving Father-in-Law showed us these. They make pancakes in the shape of choo-choo trains and other cute things. Mother-in-Law tried to bust them out for breakfast one morning but Father-in-Law wouldn't let her. He told me he was saving them for the grandchildren. I suggested he store them in the attic.
  2. When we were in Arkansas Husband's cousin told us he heard that we were ready for kids soon. Apparently this came from Father-in-Law during their last visit. Hmm. Husband told Cousin that we just got a dog and are in awe of that responsibility.
  3. When Father-in-Law says/does these things Mother-in-Law gives us a very exasperated "yooouuur faaaahther" eye roll. But we recently learned that she has been hoarding toys for the non-existent grand kids. Busted!
The only reason I am amused and not annoyed by this is that Husband's sister is 31 and has been married a year longer than we have, so clearly the baby ball is in her court. Being 30 is really funny until it happens to you. And luckily I have three more years to go.

Seriously, if they say anything to my face I am going to tell them that I am ready but Husband won't let me have a baby. And if they keep asking they are totally getting a box with holes punched in the side and a big red bow on Christmas morning. I think it really helps that my mom has a puppy to serve as a surrogate grandbaby.

No comments: