Thursday, February 22, 2007

Getting married is like 'Nam

A friend of mine just got engaged and she has asked me, as a recovering bride, for some advice. I feel kind of like I'm experiencing PTSD. Am I the only one who hated getting married? Seriously, I hated pretty much the whole thing except for the cake tastings. I hated trying to find a dress that didn't look stupid and trendy and would therefore make my wedding photos look soooooo 2006. I hated that I picked a sketchy florist who really let me down. I hated being trapped in a stationery store with my mother- and sister-in-law for almost two hours while we discussed whether or not it would be possible to imprint our names in cursive on paisley napkins. [Note: I wish I was kidding, or exaggerating, or that somehow that didn't really happen. But it totally did.] I hated that vendors would try to sell me crap I didn't need for way more than it was worth because it was my special, special day.

My friend, who hates weddings, is now in the interesting position of planning one. At least I started off excited about the process. Wedding Hater just emailed me to say that the agony (less than a week old at this point) is giving her a new found appreciation for the city of Las Vegas.

P.S. Being married itself isn't so bad, now that Husband and I are getting the hang of it.

P.P.S. Mmmm...Cake...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it...thanks!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely hated the wedding planning process (my old xanga attests to this). It got to be so painful that I put a moratorium on all wedding talk, with the ban lifted Friday through Sunday.

I like being married...especially since Husband came home today with cake! :)
~Parsingtime

Anonymous said...

nothing makes you want to kill yourself like a wedding.

Anonymous said...

Agreed.....I told my mom to hold off for a week or two and she is planning more than ever. i don't even know what my engagement party invites look like and the party is next week.
-The Wedding Hater