Sunday, February 11, 2007

I'm starting to think he's just not that into us

About a month or so ago Husband and I hired a personal trainer. We didn't mean to. It was sort of an accident. But it turns out that besides being a good salesperson P.T. is also really good at what he does to the point that we actually enjoy exercise now. Plus he is ridiculously cheap because he just moved here to Generic Suburb and he is trying to build a client base. So now we (ok, maybe more me) have developed a non-sexual adoration of P.T. And we (I) thought the feeling was mutual, at least until last week.

Saturday was the last session in our package and it was time to reup. I was prepared for P.T. to try to upsell us to the full hour session because we always run over. Or maybe he would talk us into three times a week because he so enjoys our time together. But instead he let our last session come and go without saying a word. When we reminded him he told us to come a few minutes early before our next session so we could fill out the paperwork and pay for the next month.

So on Wednesday night we got there early. As we waited I developed a nauseous sinking feeling and had an internal monologue I haven't experienced since I started dating Husband. "Hmm, I wonder where he is. Is that his car? Why don't men call when they are running late? Maybe that's him. Nope, it's an Asian chick. Gosh, I hope nothing happened to him. Wait, are we being stood up? Oh my God, is he trying to break up with us? Oh never mind, there he is!"

It was so good to know that we hadn't just been dumped by our personal trainer. I'm just not conditioned to deal with that kind of rejection anymore. One of the things I love about being married the knowledge that Husband has a financial incentive not to dump me. But still, I felt that something wasn't right. We had to remind P.T. again at the end of the session about the paperwork and then he almost had us leave without running our credit card. I even asked him if he was trying to break up with us, but in a sad joking-on-the-outside crying-on-the-inside way. I left wondering what had gone wrong. It had all seemed so right just days ago.

On the way home I told Husband about my suspicion that P.T. just isn't that into us anymore. He said I was being absurd and mumbled something about how I shouldn't project all my personal ridiculousness on a business relationship, blah, blah, blah. But a woman knows. P.T. doesn't laugh at our jokes anymore. The witty banter is gone. It's like we are just going through the motions. I'm just not sure how long we can go on like this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious.

~Parsingtime

Anonymous said...

I have to imagine it goes both ways...if your PT was a girl surely she would 'be out to sabotage your health and keep all the good men for herself'.

Wife said...

I'm glad you guys thing it's funny. Sad thing is, I didn't take much creative license. That was pretty much exactly how it all went down in my head.