Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's Day is for suckers

Last night I felt some sort of obligation to make our first married Valentine's Day special. I spent all afternoon cooking and husband cleaned the house and then we both changed into pretty clothes to enjoy our dinner. Then the wheels kind of came off dinner (see #1 below) and I was tired and grumpy so I went and changed into my jammies. Here's a more detailed review of the ups and downs of the day...

Bad things that happened on Valentine's Day...
  1. I made twice baked potatoes as a special treat and Husband decided to show his appreciation by turning on the broiler and burning them.
  2. I broke one of our ramekins, a wedding present which I hadn't even used yet.
  3. I made chicken stuffed with goat cheese but I don't like goat cheese. I should. I like every other kind of cheese, but somehow I keep forgetting that I hate goat cheese.
  4. I tried a Weight Watchers recipe for chocolate bundt cake. It turns out that cake with no oil at all is neither yummy nor visually appealing.
  5. "Everyday is Valentine's Day for us." -My aesthetician (or, for you men, a lady who pulls out unwanted hairs). Oh barf.
Good things that happened on Valentine's Day...
  1. I probably saw a tranny at the grocery store.
  2. "And this music! Dude, I am seriously going to blow my head off if I have to listen to this the rest of the day." -Grocery Stocker Guy, to Grocery Stocker Guy #2, in response to horrid Valentine's themed muzac playing throughout the store.
  3. Good thing: Husband and I have already made plans for next Valentine's Day. Great thing: it's a six pack of Shiner and a pizza.
I suppose in a way Husband and I could say that everyday is Valentine's Day for us. I make something for dinner because I know it's what he really wants. He sweeps up the shards when I break stuff. Over the course of months and years these have turned into romantic gestures. In retrospect I'm not really sure what I was expecting last night. That this Hallmark holiday would magically turn us into fabulous airbrushed people who don't screw stuff up all the time? That was stupid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have nothing to look forward to if marriage doesn't mean you can't spend Valentines in your pj's with Shiner and pizza...

You don't know it, but you're living the dream!

Anonymous said...

Valentine's Day is a sham anyway. Also, candy hearts give you non-candy cancer. It's true(ish).