Tuesday, February 6, 2007

I was bored so I went to Costco today.

So I think I am what a D.C. policymaker would refer to as the "underemployed." Now that I have a Masters degree I net $63.53 per day as a substitute teacher. And this week I haven't even done that because my employer, Generic Suburb ISD, has been closed for staff development.

So to occupy my underemployed ass I went to Costco today. When Husband and I bought our house the previous owners told us we simply HAD to get a Costco membership if we were going to own a home. They told us this on three separate occasions. We thought they were weird. Turns out they were right. I love Costco. It's like Sam's Club for people with good taste and a social conscience. Here's a summary of my trip to Costco in list form, because I'm too lazy to punctuate.

Things I was supposed to buy...
  • Bottled water
  • Diet Dr Pepper
  • Hand soap
Things I actually bought...
  • Bottled water
  • Diet Dr Pepper
  • Hand soap
  • 2 lb. container of strawberries
  • 6 pairs of gym socks
  • 24 Clif bars
  • 36 individually wrapped hunks of cheddar cheese
  • Gas for my car
Things I wanted to buy...
  • A shelving unit for our garage
  • A toilet
  • Pretty flowers
  • Sun-dried tomato basil cheese torte
  • Dubliner Irish Cheddar (2 lb. wedge)
  • Package of 24 hand towels
  • Package of 12 toothbrushes
  • A set of patio furniture
  • Or maybe that other set of patio furniture
  • Various pieces of living room furniture, including a leather love seat, an upholstered storage bench, and two green arm chairs
  • Bookshelves for Husband's DVD collection
  • A special issue of Cooking Light magazine about quick weeknight dinners
  • An issue of The Economist for Husband
  • Giant box of Kashi TLC crackers
  • Giant box of cheddar cheese flavored Quakes
  • Giant box of frozen waffles
  • Giant box of organic diet soda
  • 12-pack of clear plastic shoe boxes
  • Miscellaneous office supplies
  • A trip on an African safari
  • $8.99 worth of green grapes
  • $8.99 worth of red grapes because Husband won't eat the green ones
  • Organic bananas
When Husband asked about my trip to Costco I emphasized all of the many things I wanted to buy but didn't. It seemed to distract him from inquiring about my plans for two pounds of strawberries, a fruit which only I will eat. Now I've got to stop typing so I can go put on some gym socks, wash my hands with anti-bacterial soap, eat a hunk of cheese, and slice some strawberries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Costco because, not only can you get bulk quantites of, say, BBQ sauce and mushroom pieces, but, if necessery, it's big enough that you can hide out from the mob for years amid it's many, many aisles.

That sentence hat SEVEN commas!!!